Sailing eastbound  from the Okole Lock, we will be attracted by 19th c. railway bridges. The first of the three, to the north, is a three- span, steel and concrete structure leads to the way from Bydgoszcz to Poznań through Wągrowiec. The next – a brick, vaulted, five-span structure is on the way from Katowice to Tczew. The third and oldest, built in 1849–50, is also a brick, vaulted, five-span structure and runs in the direction of Krzyż.
Sailing across Bydgoszcz down the River Brda, we pass under the Queen Jadwiga Bridge, past the massive building of the former Board of Directors of the East Prussian Railway from the late 19th c., and arrive at the City Lock. Since the construction of the Bydgoszcz Canal, the City Lock caused the most problems due to the very difficult geo-technical conditions of its site. In 1882-1884, the wooden City Lock was replaced by a unique trapeze-structure sluice, the only such facility in the world. The trapeze-structured (also called a bag-structure) sluice was named the Bydgoszcz Scylla and Charybdis by Walenty Winida, the author of the most complete monograph of the Bydgoszcz Canal, because of the many complications it brought to the vessel traffic. Interestingly, the barges entered the lock sterns-in which was very difficult because of the necessity of turning them round prior to entry. It was not until the refurbishment of the Bydgoszcz Canal in 1908–1915 that the sluice construction was replaced. This is the structure we can see today: a single-chamber, dock-structure sluice measuring 57.4 m x 9.6 m raising the water up to the level of 3.33 m. The lock passage takes about 20 minutes for each vessel. 
Two weir plants play the major role in banking up the water in the centre of the city – the Ulgowy and the Farny. Their task is to let the water through from Młynówka Stream to the River Brda.  The water is brought up to about 3.36 m high. The manually operated Ulgowy Weir was built in 1920 as a concrete structure, with one passage and five split gates. The Farny Weir was constructed in 1899 and then modified three times (in 1929, 1970 and 1996) with general overhaul in the years 2014-2015. At present, it is a two-span concrete dock. The weir is sealed with two steel slide-split gates, operated electro-mechanically with a manual option. It must be emphasised that the latest modification introduced a white water rafting course in the city centre, one of very few in Europe.
It is one of the most exceptional and charming places in Bydgoszcz. What makes it unique is its location in the heart of the city, just a few steps from the Old Market Place.  The Island was the industrial centre of the town for several centuries since Medieval times. It was there that the Royal Mint, which operated from 1594 to 1688, with several breaks, was located. Today, Mill Island and Bydgoszcz Venice is a green oasis in the city centre. Its buildings date mostly from the 19th c., however, the cellar of the White Granary dates back to the 15th c. The water, foot bridges, former mills (turned into museums), the growing number of restored old houses casting their reflections in Młynówka Stream (this part of town is called the Bydgoszcz Venice), the well-kept greenery – all this, along with crowds of Bydgoszcz locals and numerous tourists participating in frequent open-air events, build up the atmosphere of a festive river island.  The nearby The Cathedral of Bydgoszcz, the oldest church in town, casts its shadow over the island with five museums and the Opera Nova, host to the Bydgoszcz Opera Festival. Once we go under the Sulima-Kamiński Bridge, we are able to spot today’s pride of Bydgoszcz: the  Granaries and the Man Crossing the River, tight-walking on a rope assisted by a swallow.
It was only several dozen years ago that many barges and tug boats came to the centre of the city, of which the LEMARA—an engineless barge moored to the Fish Market—is a reminder. The beautiful granaries and warehouses in the centre of Bydgoszcz and the Bydgoszcz Lloyd Palace, which was the seat of the shipping companies which operated in Bydgoszcz throughout the 20th century, are further relics of the harbour in the town centre. Across the river, opposite the Fish Market, there is the neo-Gothic building of the Polish Post Office.
Sailing on eastbound along the River Brda, we go under the Bernardyński Bridge whose neighbour is a mansion which has been the base of many rowing clubs since the beginning of the 20th century.
The beautiful River Brda, a right-hand tributary of the Vistula, is a treasure to our city. It flows along a length of 245.3 km to form one of the most beautiful tourist routes in Poland. It is exactly along this route that Pope John Paul II, then Karol Wojtyła, did his canoeing tours.
Our adventure with the Bydgoszcz Water Route Junction finishes on the Czersko Polskie water threshold composed of two sluices: Brdyujście and Czersko Polskie, a roll weir, a fish pass next to the roll weir, a hydro-electric power plant in the weir engine room, and a hydro-electric power plant on the right bank of the weir. The Brdyujście Sluice was constructed in 1879, when the city section of the Brda was being canalised. Measuring 57.4 m x 18 m, it levelled the 2.3 m height difference and was built of bricks. Today, it is out of operation having been replaced by the Czersko Polskie Lock in 2002. The new single-chamber sluice where the Brda flows into the Vistula has got a 115m x 12m dock-type reinforced concrete structure thus making it possible for the vessels to pass over 4.9 m height difference.
Sailing from Berlin to Bydgoszcz, the Bydgoszcz Water Route Junction offers good standard landing stages and havens to moor. The first of them is the Gwiazda Marina next to the Gwiazda Sports Club at the point where the old and the new Bydgoszcz Canals meet. The club facilities in Bronikowskiego Street available to the tourists include a kitchen, laundry, bathrooms and recreation grounds.  
In 2013, the Bydgoszcz Marina on the Mill Island opened. A modern building designed by the Rokiccy Architect Studio is much acclaimed by architecture specialists. The facility serves various purposes, offering services including sports, leisure, accommodation and catering.